Founded in 1956, the Canadian Mental Health Association Kelowna and District (CMHA Kelowna) is part of Canada’s oldest national charity that helps maintain and improve mental health for all Canadians. As the nation-wide leader and champion for mental health, CMHA helps people access the community resources they need to build resilience and support recovery from mental illness.
At CMHA Kelowna, we are dedicated to Mental Health in our community. No matter how old or how young, we provide support for families and individuals through programs that promote positive mental health and support recovery, while championing the elimination of barriers that can prevent people from thriving. We are a dynamic, innovative and visionary organization.
We are looking for a part-time Weekend Tenant Support Worker to provide assistance and support to 40 residents at Willowbridge Transitional Housing Program. This position offers 15 hours per week with rotating day and evening shifts.
Tenant Support Workers within our organization provide assistance, support and basic life skills training to housing program residents. Ensuring the safety and security of the Program Participants and their living environment while encouraging independence, self-responsibility and the healthiest lifestyle possible will be critical to success in this role. Ideal candidates will share our vision of a mentally healthy Kelowna and are passionate about making a difference in our community by bringing their particular expertise to our organization.
FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provides feedback and input regarding participants’ needs, performance, and progress;
• Monitors medication to participants and provides medication reminders, in accordance with established policy;
• Participates in and oversees various participant-focused social and recreational activities;
• Identifies available social, economic, recreational, and educational services and resources in the community that will meet participants’ needs. Provides participants with related information;
• Assists participants with activities of daily living;
• Completes and maintains related records and documentation such as statistics, progress reports, and daily logs;
• Receives participant feedback, and inquiries and complaints, and responds as required;
• Perform housekeeping duties such as sweeping and mopping floors, vacuuming, dusting, washing dishes, and laundry;
• Performs outdoor residence maintenance as required;
• Provides direction to volunteers/practicum students as required;
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE:
• Grade 12 as well as a Diploma in Community Social Service or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience or other qualifications determined to be reasonable and relevant to the level of work;
• Class V BC Driver’s License;
• Certificates in CPR, First Aid, and Food Safe;
• Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position;
• Ability to work independently and in cooperation with others;
• Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing;
• Ability to organize and prioritize;
• Ability to observe and recognize changes in participants;
• Ability to establish and maintain rapport with participants;
• Ability to instruct;
• Ability to analyze and resolve problems;
• Exceptional conflict resolution and crisis intervention skills.
To express your interest in joining our team, please forward a cover letter and resume to John West, HR Coordinator at email@example.com by Monday, August 20th outlining your passion for creating a mentally healthy Kelowna. Thank you for your interest in CMHA; we are looking forward to hearing from you.
CMHA is an equity employer and encourage applications from women, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, First Nations, Inuit, and Metis people, people of all sexual orientation and genders, and others who may contribute to our further diversification.
We appreciate and thank all applicants for their interest, however only short-listed candidates will be contacted.