Founded in 1956, the Canadian Mental Health Association Kelowna and District (CMHA Kelowna) is part of Canada’s oldest national charity that helps maintain and improve mental health for all Canadians. As the nation-wide leader and champion for mental health, CMHA helps people access the community resources they need to build resilience and support recovery from mental illness.
At CMHA Kelowna, we are dedicated to Mental Health in our community. No matter how old or how young, we provide support for families and individuals through programs that promote positive mental health and support recovery, while championing the elimination of barriers that can prevent people from thriving. We are a dynamic, innovative and visionary organization. We are seeking individuals who share our vision of a mentally healthy Kelowna and are passionate about making a difference in our community by bringing their particular expertise to our organization. Our success stories are countless, but there is still work to do. This is where you come in…
We are looking for a Communications Specialist to support mental health promotion and fundraising initiatives of our agency. Promoting the CMHA brand and sharing the great work that the Kelowna CMHA team and volunteers execute in our community are key components of this role. Reporting to and working collaboratively with the Director of Community Engagement, the Communications Specialist will lead, plan, facilitate and monitor a coherent and effective approach to the communications and marketing needs of the Kelowna branch. Modes of communication will include: press releases, websites, social media, electronic newsletters, publications, events, fee-for-service community education activities, presentation materials, and media, advertising and brand management strategies. This role involves supporting and working cooperatively within the guidelines established by CMHA nationally and provincially.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of a strategic communications plan that aligns with CMHA’s overall strategic objectives, considers target audiences and tactics across multiple channels;
- With consideration to target audiences, generate key messages, communications plans and key content for a variety of communications functions including, education, press releases, web and newsletter content, and speech writing;
- Lead all facets of marketing and communication program development and delivery, from proposal writing through planning, budgeting, implementation, evaluation and report writing;
- Assess, develop, implement and maintain communications tools for mental health promotion and fundraising initiatives, including opportunities for resource-sharing, collaboration and streamlining communications efforts;
- Provide training and mentorship for co-workers in best practices for communications;
- Ensure consistency of high quality standards in all communication products;
- Provide design, and support promotional activities for various branch and third party events, including brochures, posters, and newsletters;
- Lead print production activities including seeking quotes from reputable vendors;
- Assist with design and production of key reports and the annual report;
- Identify and assess organizational risks as they pertain to this portfolio and provide subsequent recommendations;
- Evaluate, assess and provide recommendations with respect to modes and methods of communication in order to leverage and increase impact within the community;
- Apply the organizations diversity lens and framework for support in all assignments and communication.
Qualifications, Skills and Abilities:
- University graduate, preferably with training in public relations, marketing or communications;
- Minimum 5 years’ recent related experience;
- Expertise in the application of principles and practices of marketing and promotion, brand and reputation management;
- Demonstrated experience of effective media relations including mainstream, ethnic and social media;
- Expertise in use of software applications, particularly Microsoft Office and design programs such as Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator on both Mac and PC platforms;
- Excellent interpersonal, teamwork, communication, and relationship development skills;
- Effective decision making and critical thinking skills;
- A record of superior performance, through personal effort, persistence, and integrity;
- Demonstrated experience of general principles and practices of effective graphic design would be an asset in this role;
- Knowledge of fundraising principles within non-profit organizations would prove valuable in this role.
To apply for this position, please forward a cover letter and resume by March 31, 2017 to: Tanja Halsall, Director of People and Operations; Tanja.Halsall@cmha.bc.ca
CMHA is an equity employer and encourage applications from women, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, First Nations, Inuit, and Metis people, people of all sexual orientation and genders, and others who may contribute to our further diversification.
We appreciate and thank all applicants for their interest, however only short-listed candidates will be contacted.