Founded in 1956, the Canadian Mental Health Association Kelowna and District (CMHA Kelowna) is part of Canada’s oldest national charity that helps maintain and improve mental health for all Canadians. As the nation-wide leader and champion for mental health, CMHA helps people access the community resources they need to build resilience and support recovery from mental illness.
At CMHA Kelowna, we are dedicated to Mental Health in our community. No matter how old or how young, we provide support for families and individuals through programs that promote positive mental health and support recovery, while championing the elimination of barriers that can prevent people from thriving. We are a dynamic, innovative and visionary organization. We are seeking individuals who share our vision of a mentally healthy Kelowna and are passionate about making a difference in our community by bringing their particular expertise to our organization. Our success stories are countless, but there is still work to do. This is where you come in…
We are looking for a Director of Community Engagement to connect CMHA to the community and the community to CMHA. As a member of the senior leadership team, you will leverage your current community relationships to raise the funds and awareness required to achieve our stated objectives.
As the successful candidate, you are an experienced and dynamic leader and visionary with proven excellence in the areas of: community engagement, communication (both internal and external), innovation, philanthropy, media and public relations, marketing, events, and corporate sponsorship. You will lead and provide strategic and operational direction to a passionate team of individuals and inspire, influence, and coach them to reach their full potential.
- Active member of the Senior Leadership Team working together to drive CMHA’s Vision and Strategy;
- Brings new and exciting ideas to the organization, solicits insight from team members and other community members;
- Provides exceptional leadership and ensures that the team is highly motivated, professional and executes to excellence;
- Cultivates and maintains favorable media relations and oversees traction and analysis of PR efforts;
- Creates compelling, persuasive, and concise written communications for fund development, advocacy and media purposes;
- Manages department budget including revenue generation and minimization of expenses in line with annual targets and KPIs;
- Develops strategic and operational sales and marketing plans and provides direction and leadership in achieving the stated goals;
- Develops and implements fundraising goals and strategies;
- Leads event planning and management of organizational and third party events;
- Engages the community in philanthropic efforts;
- Participation, direction, support in relation to all aspects of fundraising and communication, initiatives;
- Works closely with the Director of People and Operations to build an effective and engaging culture;
- Provides feedback and manages the annual performance review cycle for all team members;
- Liaises with other community organizations as needed to improve interagency relationships;
- Provides timely reporting to the Executive Director regarding KPI’s and progress.
Qualifications, Skills and Abilities:
- Degree/Post Graduate qualifications obtained in a relevant field; Business, Marketing, Public Relations;
- 7+ years recent related experience;
- Skilled at creating a high performing team environment;
- Ability to coach and inspire in a positive and collaborative manner;
- A record of superior performance, through personal effort, persistence, and integrity;
- Experience in community engagement and mobilization;
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects with tight deadlines;
- Exceptional strategy development, project management and communication skills;
- Proven experience in managing and motivating staff and volunteers;
- Knowledge of fundraising best and ethical practice;
- Strong working knowledge of public and media relations;
- Excellent knowledge of MS products, and relationship management software;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and relationship development skills;
- Effective decision making and critical thinking skills;
To apply for this position, please forward a cover letter and resume by March 24, 2017 to: Tanja Halsall, Director of People and Operations; Tanja.Halsall@cmha.bc.ca
CMHA is an equity employer and encourage applications from women, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, First Nations, Inuit, and Metis people, people of all sexual orientation and genders, and others who may contribute to our further diversification.
We appreciate and thank all applicants for their interest, however only short-listed candidates will be contacted.