Founded in 1956, the Canadian Mental Health Association Kelowna and District (CMHA Kelowna) is part of Canada’s oldest national charity that helps maintain and improve mental health for all Canadians. As the nation-wide leader and champion for mental health, CMHA helps people access the community resources they need to build resilience and support recovery from mental illness.
At CMHA Kelowna, we are dedicated to Mental Health in our community. No matter how old or how young, we provide support for families and individuals through programs that promote positive mental health and support recovery, while championing the elimination of barriers that can prevent people from thriving. We are a dynamic, innovative and visionary organization. We are seeking individuals who share our vision of a mentally healthy Kelowna and are passionate about making a difference in our community by bringing their particular expertise to our organization.
We are currently seeking a full-time Market Housing Coordinator to join our team as an integral part of CMHA Kelowna. As the successful candidate, you will be responsible for the procurement of rental units in the community, as well as coordinating the maintenance and management of these units. Acting as the key point of contact/liaison between CMHA Kelowna and landlords, you will ensure that concerns are identified and addressed, and units are well maintained. You will provide ongoing support related to housing and tenancy to landlords, team members, and program participants housed in the community; acting as a liaison between the different groups. The ability to negotiate with landlords experiencing conflict to find compromise solutions to experienced problems, including mediation if necessary to avoid eviction where possible, will be a key component of this role.
This Market Housing Coordinator is expected to build comprehensive relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders, including housing providers in both the private and non-profit sector, CMHA Kelowna homelessness and youth housing staff, and other community organizations that are instrumental/necessary to ensure the ongoing development and operation of the program.
- Proactively seek out new housing opportunities and resources to assist participants with housing by recruiting landlords and community partners;
- Maintain documentation of housing contacts, budgets, maintenance schedules and other pertinent information in accordance with agency and best practice standards;
- Negotiating leases with landlords, signing program agreements with tenants, working with MSD to set up direct rent;
- Overseeing tenant evictions;
- Develop tools to raise awareness of housing programs and services (e.g. marketing tools, brochure, newsletters);
- Overseeing Housing Unit Quality Standard Inspections and ensuring documentation and addressing deficiencies;
- Coordinating contractors, ensuring that units are ready for new tenants;
- Participate in landlord and property management network activities to market a variety of housing programs and the benefits of working with them;
- Provide various information to landlords including overview of CMHA Kelowna homelessness and youth services, rental subsidy programs, rent direct payments, on-site supports available to tenant where required;
- Serve as the primary point of contact for landlords who have tenants receiving identified Housing Based Case Management services;
- Maintain a database of procured units, noting geographical area, price and characteristics including: unit accessibility, proximity to community resources, transportation services, etc.;
- Collaborate with CMHA Kelowna homelessness and youth services team to ensure appropriate housing options are available;
- Act as a resource to staff as clients identify and choose units, negotiate with landlords on the initial lease, and provide support to resolve any serious tenancy issues that arise;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- 2 years of experience in property management, housing management, or related experience, with demonstrated negotiation and advocacy skills;
- Minimum 1 year experience building and fostering community relationships;
- Relevant post-secondary education (degree or diploma) in a related discipline;
- Understanding of challenges faced by vulnerable populations seeking permanent housing, including those experiencing, or at-risk of homelessness;
- Knowledge of the local private rental market and BC Residential Tenancy Act;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and exceptional problem solving skills;
- Ability to function independently;
- Flexible and adaptable to changing business needs;
- Organized, detail-oriented, strong time management skills and able to work in a fast paced environment;
- Ability to provide creative solutions;
- Strong computer skills;
- Strong presentation and public speaking skills;
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license with clean abstract;
- Personal vehicle required for daily travel.
To apply for this progressive role, please forward a cover letter and resume by June 7th, 2019 to John West, Human Resources Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
CMHA is an equity employer and encourage applications from women, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, First Nations, Inuit, and Metis people, people of all sexual orientation and genders, and others who may contribute to our further diversification.
We appreciate and thank all applicants for their interest, however only short-listed candidates will be contacted.