Founded in 1956, the Canadian Mental Health Association Kelowna and District (CMHA Kelowna) is part of Canada’s oldest national charity that helps maintain and improve mental health for all Canadians. As the nation-wide leader and champion for mental health, CMHA helps people access the community resources they need to build resilience and support recovery from mental illness.
At CMHA Kelowna, we are dedicated to Mental Health in our community. No matter how old or how young, we provide support for families and individuals through programs that promote positive mental health and support recovery, while championing the elimination of barriers that can prevent people from thriving. We are a dynamic, innovative and visionary organization. We are seeking individuals who share our vision of a mentally healthy Kelowna and are passionate about making a difference in our community by bringing their particular expertise to our organization. Our success stories are countless, but there is still work to do. This is where you come in…
We are looking for a Youth Housing Support Worker to operate as part of a multi-disciplinary team of professionals out of the new Foundry Kelowna Integrated Youth Centre. Reporting to and working collaboratively with the Foundry Manager, you will assist youth aged 16-24 in finding and maintaining safe, affordable housing by teaching them how and where to find appropriate accommodations as well as providing coaching with respect to building and maintaining relationships with landlords.
- Case manage youth in program housing facilities and provide supports as needed;
- Provide specialized support, guidance and life-skills to meet individual needs;
- Assess youth for potential rental supplements through BC Housing HPP funding;
- Assist youth in completing transitional and supported housing applications;
- Refer youth to appropriate, needed resources;
- Assist youth in applying for and accessing income supports when suitable.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Completion of related post-secondary education;
- Minimum 3 years’ recent related experience;
- Strong belief in youth and an understanding of their unique challenges in Kelowna’s tough housing market;
- Excellent interpersonal, teamwork, communication, and relationship development skills;
- Effective decision making and critical thinking skills;
- A record of superior performance, through personal effort, persistence, and integrity.
To apply for this position, please forward a cover letter and resume by May 23, 2017 to: Tanja Halsall, Director of People and Community Engagement at Tanja.Halsall@cmha.bc.ca
CMHA is an equity employer and encourage applications from women, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, First Nations, Inuit, and Metis people, people of all sexual orientation and genders, and others who may contribute to our further diversification.
We appreciate and thank all applicants for their interest, however only short-listed candidates will be contacted.