About the Position:
The Director of Programs and Services is an integral part of the CMHA Kelowna leadership team helping us to realize our vision of a mentally healthy community by building homes, building lives and building community. We are an innovative, fast moving, pragmatic, compassionate organization, and a leader in the social services sector. Being a part of our team means you are driven, creative and organized, passionate, and experienced.
The Director of Programs and Services provides overall leadership and oversight to CMHA Kelowna programs and services and ensures that our programs are person-centered, recovery focused, and staff are supported to succeed and excel. The Director provides leadership in the development, planning, coordination, operation, and evaluation of all programs and services within CMHA Kelowna.
We’ve experienced massive growth and we need a seasoned professional to help make sure the little things aren’t missed, while keeping a keen on the broader vision to take us to the next level. Are you a master of time management? Can you efficiently assess and address competing priorities? Do you find yourself constantly trying to make things even better? Are you interested in taking something from good to great? Fantastic, we want to hear from you.
CMHA Kelowna Programs and Services Portfolio Includes:
- Foundry Kelowna (Integrated clinic for youth 12-24 years of age and their parents/caregivers)
- Foundry Kelowna Wellness on Wheels mobile youth clinic
- Homelessness Services (including Outreach, Housing First, Scattered-Site apartments, and Homelessness Prevention Services)
- Supportive Housing (211 units in 5 buildings)
- Wellness Programming (including Discovery College, Peer Support, Wellness Development Centre, and the What Really Works? podcast)
- Leadership – in the planning, organization, and direction of CMHA programs and services;
- Human Resources/Personnel relations – ensure program staff are valued and supported to reach their potential;
- Financial Leadership and Management – Assists in the preparation of the agency budget, ensures critical financial information is disseminated and utilized between relevant program staff on a timely basis, and is responsible for taking the lead in writing program funding proposals
- Vision – support and promote a dynamic team of staff and volunteers who provide first class, positive and wellness oriented services and supports where respect, diversity, responsibility and creativity are promoted;
- Evaluation – all program/services and personnel receive regular and consistent evaluation and feedback;
- Quality Improvement – all programs/services have consistent policies and procedures, services are delivered at high quality, all programs/services are reviewed/evaluated to ensure effective and efficient use of resources and program outcomes are met
- Ensure a safe, supportive and comfortable atmosphere for people of all ages who experience a wide range of mental health and addictions issues and their families;
- Community Development – represent the organization and promote community awareness of CMHA Kelowna by maintaining positive contact with other groups, services and agencies in the community and province.
- Human Resource Leadership:
- Ensure Operational Policies and Procedures Manual is up to date and implemented;
- Provide leadership in establishing and reviewing current procedures regarding intake, program guidelines and responsibilities;
- Supervision – ensure regular, documented performance/progress reviews within staff; provide direct supervision to CMHA Program Managers
- Foster and maintain effective communications, collaboration and support within CMHA staff and program volunteers;
- Provide leadership and promote the values of CMHA through effective planning, implementation, and evaluation of priorities as established by the organization;
- Promote a person-centered, recovery and wellness-oriented atmosphere within the organization.
- Program Management:
- Ensure our contracted programs adhere to and exceed the funder’s contracted goals and objectives and report on these as required;
- Evaluation – regular review of program direction, goals and objectives through satisfaction surveys with staff, program participants, family/friends, service providers in the community, funders; file reviews, process reviews;
- Information Management – provide leadership in ensuring consistent processes for collection of information for staff, participant/client files, information measuring outcomes and expectations;
- Ensure timely reporting of program activities and finances to the CMHA Kelowna leadership team members as required.
- Program Development and Coordination:
- Write funding proposals for new programs and services as related to the organizations mission, vision and strategic directions;
- Ensure all programs and services have an operational sustainability plan that is consistent with the overall direction of the organization;
- Financial and Budget leadership – support Program Management staff to be aware of program budget, spending and reporting.
- Community Development:
- Build and expand upon relationships with community agencies, funders, business and the general community to further the work of CMHA Kelowna;
- Create opportunities for collaboration within the community;
- Participate on key committees and working groups as required;
- Establish opportunities for relevant community based research initiatives.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
The successful candidate will have post-secondary education in social work, counseling, education, psychology, leadership, business, public policy, or a related field, preferably at the Master’s level, and six (6) years of leadership/management experience at a senior level, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
This will be supplemented with three (3) years of experience in social service program delivery, coordination, and implementation, with demonstrated knowledge of community-based programs and provincial support systems. It is essential to have prior experience working with culturally diverse clients/stakeholders and be able to demonstrate the principles of equity, diversity, and inclusion in all aspects of work. Additional experience and qualifications include:
- Demonstrated experience developing and evaluating programs;
- Demonstrated experience of successful program/project proposal writing;
- Experience in non-profit sector an asset;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with proven ability to communicate effectively with general public, people with mental illness/participants, family members, funders, volunteers and other community partners;
- Outstanding interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Demonstrated collaborative leadership style;
- Ability to manage budgets within operational parameters;
- Excellent computer skills and ability to utilize relevant new technology in workplace;
- Ability to work flexible hours – some evening and weekends may be required;
- This is a management position, overtime may be required;
- Must have own vehicle;
- Some travel required.
WHO IS CMHA Kelowna?
With organizational culture at the heart of who we are and what we do, we continually seek to improve and evolve their services to meet the identified needs of people within the community. Through meaningful engagement of thought leaders, community service providers, funders, various levels of government, and people with lived experience in discussions about service quality and focus, the CMHA Kelowna team are ready, willing, and able to shift our focus to meet the needs of the community. We are a dynamic, innovative and visionary organization. We are looking for the “right” someone who shares our vision of a mentally healthy community and is passionate about making a difference in our community by bringing their particular expertise to our organization. Like what you hear…fantastic, check us out: www.cmhakelowna.org
To apply for this opportunity, please forward a cover letter and resume to Tom Sakamoto, HR & Employee Experience Specialist, by April 29, 2022.
As an employer, CMHA Kelowna strives to create a workplace that respects and values all individuals, minimizes bias, and promotes the equity, diversity, and inclusion of different perspectives and ideas. At CMHA Kelowna that means welcoming diversity in mental health, race, ethnicity, and culture. It also means diverse abilities, age, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, gender identities, education, marital status, language, and physical appearance. These values are embedded in the work CMHA Kelowna does every day.
We appreciate and thank all applicants for their interest, however only short-listed candidates and those legally eligible to work in Canada will be contacted.