- This event has passed.
Worries & Woes with Dr. Lynn Miller
February 21 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pmFree
Worries and Woes: Dealing With Anxiety Disorders In Children and Youth
Presented by: Dr. Lynn Miller, Lic. Psych., Emeritus Associate Professor University of British Columbia
Anxiety disorders are the most common form of psychological distress reported by children and youth, and can interfere significantly in their lives. An anxiety disorder is a level of anxiety that interferes with daily functioning, either with peer relationships, academic performance, or in family routines. Children/youth with anxiety disorders are shy, inhibited, and avoidant; parents and family members are typically very good at identifying anxiety in children but may not use the most effective interventions to support children and youth.
This session will help participants to:
- Increase awareness of the anxiety disorder spectrum
- Understand etiological and developmental aspects of anxiety
- Identify basic behavioral indicators of anxiety in children/youth
- Develop a preliminary understanding of the current research
- Understand the efficacy of CBT treatment approach
- Be aware of techniques that are useful to implement immediately with an anxious child or youth
- Become aware of resources in the community
This is a FREE event. Space is limited and registration is required.
NOTE: THIS EVENT IS NOW FULL. ONGOING REGISTRATIONS WILL BE SENT TO THE WAITLIST. YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED BY EMAIL IF YOU ARE MOVED FROM THE WAITLIST TO THE ATTENDANCE LIST.
If you are registered and can no longer attend, please send us an email so we can move someone over from the waitlist.