WHO IS A FINANCIAL CONTROLLER WITH CMHA KELOWNA?
This Financial Controller for CMHA Kelowna is a unique and talented person. They crunch on numbers for breakfast and they may or may not sort their Skittles by color. They provide strategic financial leadership and take responsibility for the delivery of a full cycle Accounting, Finance and Payroll functions of a large multi-service, non-profit organization with multiple funding streams. All the while, bringing a new level of fiscal awareness & engagement in our teams through CMHA Kelowna’s Mission & Vision, creating an impact beyond dollars and cents, spreadsheets and budgets. Through their extraordinary efforts they are working hard to service our teams to ensure that they are in the know, in the loop, in addition to being responsible for the smooth day-to-day financial operation and its integration with each component of the organization. Key areas of responsibility include developing and managing the operating budget and multi-year plan, individual program budgets, financial and business reporting and forecasting, ensuring proper controls of financial and non-financial resources, as well as managing a small but mighty team who are responsible for payroll, accounts payable and receivables.
Taking the lead in directing and managing the accounting functions, they will provide accurate information to the Executive Director and Board of Directors, maintain the accounting systems and implement changes as required. The Financial Controller reports directly to the Executive Director and is an integral member of the senior leadership of the organization. They are an exceptional communicator, an entrepreneurial mindset and the ability to take us to heights we didn’t even know existed.
WHAT IS A FINANCIAL CONTROLLER RESPONSIBLE FOR?
- Managing the accounting operations including the review of journal entries, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable and statutory reporting…with their eyes closed;
- Establish and monitor internal controls to ensure that accounting activities are in accordance with established legal regulatory and company policies and procedures;
- Budgeting and forecasting wizardry;
- Prepare, analyze and present monthly, quarterly and annual operating results for each department;
- Provide strategic analysis as required to drive improved decision making;
- Work with external auditors and Board of Directors;
- Prepare and present financial information for monthly, quarterly and annual reports;
- Responsible for the accuracy and timeliness of financial information including statutory filings as required;
- Implementation and management of internal controls with respect to financial policies, processes and procedures;
- Provides advice and guidance on all accounting matters including financial systems, record keeping, analysis, and reporting;
- Coordinates the year-end audit and preparation of audited financial statements and audit working papers;
- Payroll review and oversight;
- Benefits/RRSP program oversight and coordination;
- Coordinates all government audits;
- Responsible for the preparation of monthly, semi-annual and annual financial statements and external reporting to financial institutions, ensuring that all reporting requirements are met;
- With an eagle eye, they review payables/bank reconciliations;
- Generation of reports of performance against budgets;
- Supporting new systems or project selections and implementation from a strategic finance and internal control perspective;
- Promotes and maintains positive corporate relations with the financial community;
- Hiring, training, mentoring and supervising of Finance dream team;
- Other related duties as required or assigned.
THEIR STRENGTHS & EXPERIENCE:
- University degree in Business/Accounting;
- Current CPA designation;
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience, leading financial management in a not for profit organization is preferred;
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a senior financial management role; supervisory experience required;
- Extensive experience and knowledge of all aspects of not for profit accounting and financial management;
- Experience overseeing audits performed by external audit firms;
- Financial analysis, budgeting and strategic planning experience;
- Knowledge of accounting principles, practices and applications;
- Knowledge of budget preparation and analysis techniques;
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office and Excel;
- Advanced knowledge of simply accounting, job costing and departmental accounting;
- Excellent leadership, communication, presentation, problem solving and organizational skills are critical;
- High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and/or reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons, or facts;
- Payroll experience;
- Attention to detail in all areas of work.
IT WOULD BE AMAZING IF…
- They have Salesforce experience.
- They have seen every episode of the Office.
WHO IS CHMA…?
At CMHA Kelowna, we are dedicated to Mental Health in our community. No matter how old or how young, we provide support for families and individuals through programs that promote positive mental health and support recovery, while championing the elimination of barriers that can prevent people from thriving. We are a dynamic, innovative and visionary organization. We are looking for someone who shares our vision of a mentally healthy Kelowna and are passionate about making a difference in our community by bringing their particular expertise to our organization. Like what you hear…fantastic, check us out: www.cmhakelowna.org
CMHA KELOWNA OFFERS YOU…
- A competitive salary, commensurate with experience and awesomeness
- All of the other Dental, Health & EAP Benefits
- 3 weeks vacation
- 12 sick days per year
- RRSP matching program
- A work life balance that actually works with you
- A culture that embodies ‘walk the talk’ form our Leadership Team
- As a non-profit, we definitely do NOT have foosball and free snacks, but what we DO have, is the ability to empower our teams, be a part of something bigger…and the opportunity to explore and grow in an organization that fosters transparency and trust.
To apply for this opportunity, please forward a cover letter and resume to John West, HR Coordinator at email@example.com.
CMHA Kelowna is an equity employer and encourages applications from all individuals who may contribute to the diversity of our workplace. This includes persons with disabilities, all persons of colour including Black, First Nations, Indigenous, Inuit, and Metis, and people of all sexual orientations and genders.
We appreciate and thank all applicants for their interest, however only short-listed candidates and those legally eligible to work in Canada will be cont