CMHA Kelowna is a large multi-service, non-profit organization with multiple funding streams and is looking for a unique and talented Financial Controller who is both a strategic leader and detail oriented individual who is focused on making impact within the organization and the community.
The Controller will provide strategic financial leadership and take responsibility for the delivery of full-cycle Accounting, Finance and Payroll functions. The Controller will bring a new level of fiscal awareness and engagement to the teams, through CMHA Kelowna’s Mission & Vision, creating an impact beyond dollars and cents, spreadsheets and budgets. The Controller will be responsible for the smooth day-to-day financial operations and its integration with each component of the organization. Key areas of responsibility include developing and managing the operating budget and multi-year plan, individual program budgets, financial and business reporting and forecasting, ensuring proper controls of financial and non-financial resources, as well as managing a team responsible for payroll, and accounts payables and receivables.
Taking the lead in directing and managing the accounting functions, the Controller will provide accurate information to the CEO and Board of Directors, maintain the accounting systems and implement changes as required.
The Financial Controller reports directly to the CEO and is an integral member of the senior leadership team. The Controller is an exceptional communicator with an entrepreneurial mindset to take CMHA to new heights.
If you are interested in applying for this position please click here to go to Indeed
- Manage the accounting operations including the review of journal entries, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable and statutory reporting;
- Establish and monitor internal controls to ensure accounting activities are compliant with established legal regulatory and company policies and procedures;
- Budgeting and forecasting ;
- Prepare, analyze and present monthly, quarterly and annual financial information and operating results for each department;
- Provide strategic analysis to inform and improve decision making;
- Work with external auditors and Board of Directors;
- Maintain accuracy and timeliness of financial information including statutory filings as required;
- Implement and manage internal controls with respect to financial policies, processes and procedures;
- Provide advice and guidance on all accounting matters including financial systems, record keeping, analysis, and reporting;
- Coordinate year-end audit and prepare audited financial statements and audit working papers;
- Payroll review and oversight;
- Benefits/RRSP program oversight and coordination;
- Coordinate all government audits;
- Prepare monthly, semi-annual and annual financial statements and external reporting to financial institutions, ensuring all reporting requirements are met;
- Review payables/bank reconciliations;
- Generate reports of performance against budgets;
- Support new systems or project selections and implementation from a strategic finance and internal controls perspective;
- Promote and maintain positive corporate relations with the financial community;
- Hire, train, mentor and supervise the Finance Team;
- Other related duties as required or assigned.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- University degree in Business/Accounting;
- Professional accounting designation (CPA);
- Minimum 5 years professional experience, leading financial management in a not for profit organization is preferred;
- Minimum 3 years experience in a senior financial management role; supervisory experience required;
- Extensive experience and knowledge of all aspects of not for profit accounting and financial management;
- Experience overseeing audits performed by external audit firms;
- Financial analysis, budgeting and strategic planning experience;
- Experience with budgeting and forecasting;
- Knowledge of accounting principles, practices and applications;
- Knowledge of budget preparation and analysis techniques;
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office and Excel;
- Advanced knowledge of simply accounting, job costing and departmental accounting;
- Excellent leadership, communication, presentation, problem solving and organizational skills;
- High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and/or reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons, or facts;
- Payroll experience;
- Attention to detail in all areas of work;
- Salesforce and Payworks experience is an asset.
WHO IS CHMA…?
At CMHA Kelowna, we are dedicated to Mental Health in our community. No matter how old or how young, we provide support for families and individuals through programs that promote positive mental health and support recovery, while championing the elimination of barriers that can prevent people from thriving. We are a dynamic, innovative and visionary organization. We are looking for someone who shares our vision of a mentally healthy Kelowna and are passionate about making a difference in our community by bringing their particular expertise to our organization.
Like what you hear…fantastic, check us out: www.cmhakelowna.org
CMHA KELOWNA OFFERS YOU…
- A competitive salary, commensurate with experience and awesomeness
- All of the other Dental, Health & EAP Benefits
- 3 weeks vacation
- 12 sick days per year
- RRSP matching program
- A work life balance that actually works with you
- A culture that embodies ‘walk the talk’ form our Leadership Team
- As a non-profit, we definitely do NOT have foosball and free snacks, but what we DO have, is the ability to empower our teams, be a part of something bigger…and the opportunity to explore and grow in an organization that fosters transparency and trust.
If you are interested in applying for this position please click here to go to Indeed.
As an employer, CMHA Kelowna strives to create a workplace that respects and values all individuals, minimizes bias, and promotes the equity, diversity, and inclusion of different perspectives and ideas. At CMHA Kelowna, that means welcoming diversity in mental health, race, ethnicity, and culture. It also means diverse abilities, age, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, gender identities, education, marital status, language, and physical appearance. These values are embedded in the work CMHA Kelowna does every day.
We appreciate and thank all applicants for their interest, however only short-listed candidates and those legally eligible to work in Canada will be contacted.