WHO IS AN ASSISTANT PREP COOK WITH CMHA KELOWNA?
An Assistant Prep Cook within our Meals Matter Program provides quality and timely meal preparation, striving for minimal waste, high nutritional value, and increasing efficiencies while ensuring a safe and healthy kitchen environment as per Food Safe guidelines (Interior Health), and adhering to WorkSafe Health and Safety Standards. The CMHA Kelowna Meals Matter team prepares and serves meals with a strong customer service focus to our residents and clients.
This position is part-time and offers 24 hours per week, Monday to Thursday 7:30am – 1:30pm. Additional, flexible hours may be required to cover vacation requests within the program.
- Setting up workstations with all needed ingredients and cooking equipment;
- Experience in using various ingredients, equipment, cookware and cooking techniques;
- Prepares assigned food items by following directions and thinking creatively;
- Controls portioning of food items to ensure recipe yield meets assigned quantity quotas;
- Measuring and preparing ingredients to use in cooking (chopping and peeling vegetables, cutting meat etc.)
- Cooking food with various utensils or grillers;
- Assure proper storage and appropriate temperatures of ingredients;
- Maintain accurate food inventories and order necessary food / supplies when stock is low;
- Maintains food rotations in order to minimize spoilage and waste;
- Assure proper operation of food service equipment, report defects to manager;
- Inspect kitchen areas, work stations and dining areas to verify all are clean, safe and in working order;
- Ensure the food prep area, kitchen and equipment are cleaned and sanitized throughout and at the end of your shift;
- Assists the manager with training and orientation for new team members.
- Ensuring residents receive meals that are proportionate, consistent, cooked properly and aesthetically pleasing;
- Providing outstanding service by enthusiastically welcoming residents, portioning and serving food.
- Function independently and with minimal supervision, while remaining a crucial member of the CMHA Kelowna Meals Matter team;
- Adhere to and execute their position in accordance with the Mission, Vision, Core values, Policies and Procedures of CMHA Kelowna;
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the position, including but not limited to:
- Lifting heavy items up to 50lbs
- Standing for extended periods of time
- Bending and twisting, etc.
- Working with person(s) served who may solicit and/or display inappropriate social or physical behaviour, including inappropriate language or violence;
- Ensuring completion of necessary documentation for day to day operations;
- Ensures Policies and Procedures are adhered to and provides input on the creation of additional relevant policies and procedures where relevant;
- Must be flexible to work in any worksite and do delivery/pick-up of supplies as required.
- Certificate or diploma from an accredited college/university, preferably in culinary, nutrition, or equivalent related field experience (a combination of education/experience may be considered relevant to expectations of this position);
- 1 – 2 years of experience within food preparation, cooking and serving;
- Valid Food Safe certification;
- Demonstrated experience and in-depth knowledge of all health and safety, Food Safe and sanitation procedures;
- Contingent upon a clear enhanced criminal record check including work with the vulnerable sector.
- Must have reliable transportation to travel between sites.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and courtesy even in the face of difficult client behaviours;
- Maintain good working relationships and work collaboratively with staff and clients;
- Effectively communicate orally and in writing;
- Creative thinking skills to be able to create meals based off of donations;
This position reports to the Meals Matter Team Lead with oversight from the Supportive Housing Manager.
WHO IS CMHA Kelowna…?
At CMHA Kelowna, we are dedicated to Mental Health in our community. No matter how old or how young, we provide support for families and individuals through programs that promote positive mental health and support recovery, while championing the elimination of barriers that can prevent people from thriving. We are a dynamic, innovative and visionary organization. We are looking for someone who shares our vision of a mentally healthy Kelowna and are passionate about making a difference in our community by bringing their particular expertise to our organization. Like what you hear…fantastic, check us out: www.cmhakelowna.org
CMHA KELOWNA OFFERS YOU…
- A competitive hourly rate of $21.65-$24.90
- 3 weeks vacation (prorated for part time);
- Personal health days;
- RRSP matching program;
- A work life balance that actually works with you
- A culture that embodies ‘walk the talk’ form our Leadership Team
- As a non-profit, we definitely empower our teams, be a part of something bigger…and learning and growing in an organization that fosters transparency and trust.
To apply for this opportunity, please forward a cover letter and resume to: Hayley Romanchuk, HR Coordinator; [email protected]
As an employer, CMHA Kelowna strives to create a workplace that respects and values all individuals, minimizes bias, and promotes the equity, diversity, and inclusion of different perspectives and ideas. At CMHA Kelowna that means welcoming diversity in mental health, race, ethnicity, and culture. It also means diverse abilities, age, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, gender identities, education, marital status, language, and physical self expression. These values are embedded in the work CMHA Kelowna does every day.
We appreciate and thank all applicants for their interest, however only short-listed candidates and those legally eligible to work in Canada will be contacted.