The Wellness Development Centre (WDC) is a place where individuals dealing with mental health issues can come to connect with others, engage in wellness-based activities, learn and improve mental and physical wellness and contribute to a vibrant community. A referral from a health professional is required to access the WDC. Please save the .pdf file to your computer, fill in your answers, and then email it back to CMHA Kelowna.
In light of the COVID-19 outbreak, the WDC has gone virtual.
Join the Wellness Team for an opportunity to stay connected. Share in positive stories, light conversation, and some good fun in an open, relaxed, and welcoming setting – online or over the phone!
Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday noon-2pm
- Join us online: open your web browser and go to zoom.us. Along the top of that web page, click the link called “join a meeting”. Enter the meeting ID then follow the instructions to install Zoom app. If you have downloaded Zoom app already (computer, mobile), just open that app and join meeting with ID and password: Zoom meeting ID: 2508613644 | Zoom password: 2508613644
- Or join by phone: 1-778-907-2071 (enter meeting ID, #, then the password when prompted)
Please contact us at email@example.com or call 250-861-3644 if you have any questions.
WDC Activities Offered
Many different activities are offered at the WDC to foster recovery, grow community, and build wellness-based skills. Check the calendar above for scheduling.
|Art and Creativity
||Mind and Body Fitness
(1) Peer Support Services aims to break isolation and provide support from people who understand what it’s like to live with mental health issues. Our programs:
- Connect people with lived experience in a structured therapeutic environment
- Provides support on the journey towards recovery
- Offers both group and one-to-one mentorship opportunities
- Hosts weekly activity groups at Kelowna General Hospital’s Psychiatric unit
CMHA Kelowna recruits and trains new peer supporters approximately once per year.
(1) Mental Health Information Sessions
Once a month we offer a group that presents up to date information about different mental health diagnoses, as well as things that affect mental wellness. This group offers the opportunity to learn more about the mental health challenges faced by ourselves and others.
Mindfulness means maintaining a moment by moment awareness of our thoughts, feelings bodily sensations and surrounding environment. Mindfulness also involves acceptance, meaning that we pay attention to our thoughts and feelings without judging them, without believing, for instance that there’s a “right” or “wrong” way to think or feel in a given moment. When we practice mindfulness, our thoughts tune into what we’re sensing in the present moment rather than rehashing the past or imagining the future.
(3) Monthly Education Groups
We offer a 2 part education series each month on topics that help improve wellness and recovery. Some topics include: self-compassion, communication skills, anger management, conflict resolution, and smoking cessation. The groups are a chance to learn through a variety of means including: presented information, interaction, practice and guest speakers.