With most adults spending more of their waking hours at work than anywhere else, addressing issues of mental health at work is vitally important for all people in Canada. Seventy per cent of Canadian employees are concerned about the psychological health and safety of their workplace, and 14 per cent don’t think theirs is healthy or safe at all. Such workplaces can take a detrimental personal toll as well as contribute to staggering economic costs.
- 500,000 Canadians in any given week are unable to work due to mental health problems or illnesses.
- 1 in 3 workplace disability claims are related to mental health problems or illnesses.
- 70% of disability costs are attributed to mental health problems or illnesses.
- 70% of Canadian employees are concerned about psychological health.
- The total cost from mental health problems to the Canadian economy exceeds $50 billion annually.
- In 2011, mental health problems and illnesses among working adults in Canada cost employers more than $6 billion in lost productivity from absenteeism, presenteeism and turnover.
At CMHA Kelowna, we offer employers and employees information, resources, tools and support to understand the complexities of creating and maintaining a psychologically safe workplace.
Our services focus on assessing, training, coaching and teaching that equips the workplace with preventative strategies, facts and information and practical strategies that will enhance your workplace wellness, employees’ wellness and, therefore, improve your bottom line. Invest in the health and well-being of all your employees to increase capacity, enhance productivity and strengthen the mental health of all.
#1. Identify your values, goals, and areas for improvement:
- Mental Health Commission of Canada
- Guarding Minds @ Work
- 13 Psychosocial Factors for Psychological Health and Safety in the Workplace
- Mental Health at Work (Canadian Centre for Occupational Health & Safety)
- My Workplace Health
#2. Strengthen your work environment and culture:
#3. Develop a Corporate Social Responsibility Plan: