Founded in 1956, the Canadian Mental Health Association Kelowna and District (CMHA Kelowna) is part of Canada’s oldest national charity that helps maintain and improve mental health for all Canadians. As the nation-wide leader and champion for mental health, CMHA helps people access the community resources they need to build resilience and support recovery from mental illness.
At CMHA Kelowna, we are dedicated to Mental Health in our community. No matter how old or how young, we provide support for families and individuals through programs that promote positive mental health and support recovery, while championing the elimination of barriers that can prevent people from thriving. We are a dynamic, innovative and visionary organization. We are seeking individuals who share our vision of a mentally healthy Kelowna and are passionate about making a difference in our community by bringing their particular expertise to our organization.
We are looking to identify exceptional candidates for a Wellness Coach position in our Wellness Development Centre to assist program participants in our Wellness Development Centre to develop skills and access resources needed to increase their quality of life and ultimately support recovery from mental health issues. This is accomplished by building on the strengths and capacities of the participants through active engagement in person-centered wellness activities. In order to round out the skills and experience of the existing team of Wellness Coaches, we encourage individuals with an enthusiasm for arts, crafts and creativity to apply. The ArtWorks Studio is an integral part of the Wellness Development Centre, where participants gather to create art for self-expression, self-discovery, social connection, fun and as a pathway to wellness.
As a Wellness Coach you will implement and participate in activation, life skills, recreation and creative and social activities designed to meet the needs of program participants, providing demonstrations as required. You will also facilitate orientations to welcome new participants through an established process and provide program and facility information and training. This is a permanent full-time position that offers 31 hours per week (Mon-Thurs).
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Completion of a Human Service Worker or Mental Health Worker, Recreation Therapist, Psychosocial Rehabilitation Worker Certificate or Diploma, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Recent, related experience working with people with mental illness and/or substance use is preferred.
- Group facilitation experience preferred.
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of psychosocial rehabilitation principles;
- Rapport building with participants;
- Ability to organize and prioritize;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing;
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position;
- Highly resourceful and excellent problem solving skills and ability to think on your feet;
- Ability to work effectively independently and as part of a high performing team, and a passion for enabling success by providing exceptional support;
- First-Aid & CPR Certification;
- Non-violent crisis intervention, trauma-informed practice, Indigenous cultural competency, suicide alertness training an asset.
To apply for this opportunity, please forward a cover letter and resume by August 30th, 2019 to
John West, Human Resources Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org outlining your passion for creating a mentally healthy Kelowna.
CMHA is an equity employer and encourage applications from women, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, First Nations, Inuit, and Metis people, people of all sexual orientation and genders, and others who may contribute to our further diversification.
We appreciate and thank all applicants for their interest, however only short-listed candidates will be contacted.